The "Insane World Of Mike Sain" airs every Wednesday at 9:00 AM Eastern Time on WPON-AM 1460 Detroit both on the air and on the Internet. Today's theme was "Cruisin' With The Oldies" in which Mike played car- and cruising-related songs.
- Cruisin' - Gene Vincent And His Blue Caps - 1957
- Drag City - Jan & Dean - 1964
- Little Honda - The Hondells - 1964 (played twice today, once by request)
- G.T.O. - Ronny & the Daytonas - 1964
- Little Deuce Coupe - The Beach Boys - 1963 (by request)
- Go Go GTO - Carol & Cheryl - 1965
- Hey Little Cobra - The Rip Chords - 1964
- Corvair Baby - Paul Revere & the Raiders - 1965
- Little Hot Rod Susie - The Tokens
- '54 Corvette - The Customs - 1963
- Shut Down - The Beach Boys - 1963 (by request)
- Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett - 1966
- Drive My Car - The Beatles - 1965 (by request)
- The Lonely Dragster - The Bobby Fuller Four - 1966
- Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen - 1972
- "Cruisin'" by famed 1950s rockabilly rocker Gene Vincent was included on his 1957 album "Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps" (Capitol T-811) and can also be found on the CDs Hot Rods & Custom Classics [BOX SET] and Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps, the latter of which is a CD reissue of Gene Vincent's 1957 album. Best known for his 1956 hit, "Be-Bop-A-Lula," Gene Vincent was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.
- "Little Honda" was the Hondells' chart debut song in 1964 and was also a minor hit for the Beach Boys that same year.
- Hot rod hit "GTO" was Ronny & the Daytonas' chart debut song in 1964. Ronny & the Daytonas also recorded as "Buzz And Bucky" (for the 1965 song, "Tiger-A-Go-Go"). The lead singer, Ronny, was John "Bucky" Wilkin.
- "Little Deuce Coupe" by the Beach Boys was the B-side song of "Surfer Girl" which was also a hit in 1963. James House also recorded a new version of "Little Deuce Coupe" with the Beach Boys (billed as the Beach Boys featuring James House) which made the country charts in 1996.
- "Go Go GTO" by Carol & Cheryl is included on Hot Rods & Custom Classics [BOX SET] and Surf & Drag, Vol. 2. "Go Go GTO" was recorded in 1965 with "Sunny Winter" as the B-side song (Colpix CP 767). The "Carol & Cheryl" singing duo were sisters Carol and Cheryl Connors. Carol Connors was the lead singer of the Teddy Bears best known for their smash hit "To Know Him, Is To Love Him" (1958). She also recorded several songs and albums under various names including Carol Collins and Carol Connors & The Cycles, and appeared in several movies.
- "Corvair Baby" by Paul Revere and the Raiders is included on the CD Midnight Ride. This CD is a reissue of the 1966 album by the same name with four extra tracks, including "Corvair Baby" which was recorded in 1965 as the B-side of "SS 396" (Columbia Special Products 262).
- "54 Corvette" by the Customs is included on the following compilation CDs: Hot Rod City, Hot Rods & Custom Classics [BOX SET], and Surf & Drag, Vol. 2. Members of the Customs (a.k.a. Gary Usher & The Customs) included Gary Usher. Usher was not only a major songwriter and producer throughout the 1960s but also recorded under several different band names. "54 Corvette" was recorded in 1963 on the LP "Hot Rod City" (Vault 104).
- "Shut Down" by the Beach Boys was the B-side song of "Surfin' U.S.A.," both of which were chart hits in 1963.
- "Mustang Sally" by Wilson Pickett was previously a hit on the R&B charts for Sir Mack Rice in 1965.
- "Drive My Car" by the Beatles was from their 1965 album "Rubber Soul" (Parlophone PMC-3075).
- Best known for the Buddy Holly-styled "I Fought The Law (1966), the instrumental "The Lonely Dragster" by the Bobby Fuller Four was one of a number of this group's uncharted songs that is included on their 1966 album "KRLA King Of The Wheels" (Mustang M-900).
- "Hot Rod Lincoln" was Commander Cody's chart debut song in 1972. This novelty song was previously a hit in 1960 for both Johnny Bond and Charlie Ryan and was also a hit for Tiny Hill in 1951 as "Hot Rod Race."
Click here for a complete list of "Insane World Of Mike Sain" playlists available on this web site.