Canned Heat is an influential and highly acclaimed veteran blues and rock band that became famous during the late 1960s. Their best known songs include the anthemic "On The Road Again" (1968) and the soaring "Going Up The Country" (1968), both of which showcase the ethereal high tenor of Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson (July 4, 1943 - September 3, 1970), as well as their hard-driving remake of Wilbert Harrison's "Let's Work Together" (1970).
Formed in 1965 in Los Angeles by Wilson and singer/guitarist/harmonica player Bob "The Bear" Hite (February 26, 1943 - April 5, 1981), the classic hitmaking lineup also consisted of Adolfo "Fito" de la Parra (drums), bassist Larry "The Mole" Taylor (June 26, 1942 - August 19, 2019), and guitarist Henry "The Sunflower" Vestine (December 25, 1944 - October 20, 1997) who was replaced in 1969 by Harvey "The Snake" Mandel. Canned Heat has continued to the present day with numerous personnel changes over the years with Adolfo de la Parra as the only remaining original member.
- For more info about Canned Heat, both past and present, visit cannedheatmusic.com.
- Ultimateclassicrock.com remembers Canned Heat co-lead singers Bob Hite and Alan Wilson.
- Billboard remembers Canned Heat bassist Larry Taylor.
- The New York Times remembers Canned Heat guitarist Henry Vestine.
Disclosure: The following links will take you to various online merchants outside of allbutforgottenoldies.net that sell recordings and other merchandise for the performing artist featured on this page. Please note that these are referral or affiliate links from which allbutforgottenoldies.net may receive, at no additional cost to you, a commission if you should make any purchases through them.
- Canned Heat - CDs, vinyl, & more - Amazon.com
- Canned Heat - CDs, vinyl, & more - CDUniverse.com
- Canned Heat - Digital music - Amazon.com
- Canned Heat - Rare vinyl, CDs, & more - MusicStack.com
To listen to a song clip, click any song title that has a speaker icon. This will take you to a list of links to CD and/or MP3 product pages from one or more online merchants that have sound samples.
- Going Up The Country 1968
- Let's Work Together 1970
(This song also became a hit for Wilbert Harrison (1969).)
- On The Road Again 1968
Previous Artist | Next Artist