The Crystals are a highly acclaimed and veteran R&B/pop/early rock & roll group that became famous during the early 1960s and were one of the top girl groups of that era. They are known for such oldies classics as "There's No Other (Like My Baby)" (1961), "He's A Rebel" (1962), "He's Sure The Boy I Love" (1962), "Da Doo Ron Ron (When He Walked Me Home)" (1963), and "Then He Kissed Me" (1963).
Formed in 1961 in New York City while all members were still in their teens, the original lineup consisted of Barbara Alston (December 29, 1943 - February 16, 2018), Myrna Giraud, Dolores "Dee Dee" Kenniebrew, Mary Thomas, and Patricia "Patsy" Wright, with a number of personnel changes over the years. Darlene Love provided lead vocals for "He's A Rebel" and "He's Sure The Boy I Love." After their split in 1967, The Crystals reunited in 1970 and have continued to perform and record actively to the present day. The current lineup is a trio with Dolores Kenniebrew as the only remaining original member.
RELATED BANDS AND ARTISTS
- For more info about The Crystals, both past and present, visit thecrystals.net.
- The New York Times remembers Barbara Alston.
Disclosure: The following links will take you to various online merchants outside of allbutforgottenoldies.net that sell recordings and other merchandise for the performing artist featured on this page. Please note that these are referral or affiliate links from which allbutforgottenoldies.net may receive, at no additional cost to you, a commission if you should make any purchases through them.
- The Crystals - CDs, vinyl, & more - Amazon.com
- The Crystals - CDs, vinyl, & more - CDUniverse.com
- The Crystals - Digital music - Amazon.com
- The Crystals - Rare vinyl, CDs, & more - MusicStack.com
- The Crystals - Sheet Music - SheetMusicPlus.com
To listen to a song clip, click any song title that has a speaker icon. This will take you to a list of links to CD and/or MP3 product pages from one or more online merchants that have sound samples.
- Da Doo Ron Ron (When He Walked Me Home) 1963
(This song later also became a hit for Ian Matthews (1972) and Shaun Cassidy (1977).)
- He's A Rebel 1962
(This song, which topped the charts, is included in Rolling Stone magazine's list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.)
- He's Sure The Boy I Love 1962
- Then He Kissed Me 1963
- There's No Other (Like My Baby) 1961
- Uptown 1962
Previous Artist | Next Artist