The "Insane World Of Mike Sain" airs every Wednesday at 9:00 AM Eastern Time on WPON-AM 1460 Detroit. Today's theme was "Appearing On The Ed Sullivan Show" in which Mike played songs by various well known oldies artists who made at least one performance on the Ed Sullivan Show. The songs are listed below with their respective chart debut dates which, for comparison, are given alongside the date(s) they were performed on the Ed Sullivan Show. Also shown are i) the date on which the artist first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, ii) the date on which the artist last appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, and 3) the total number of times the artist appeared live on the Ed Sullivan show. These totals include all guest appearances and audience bows and do not include film clips. (From: TV.com - The Ed Sullivan Show Episode List)
|Song||Artist||Chart debut||Date(s) song aired on EDS|
|Eso Beso (That Kiss!)||Paul Anka||11/3/1962||10/7/1962|
|Big Girls Don't Cry||The 4 Seasons||10/20/1962||12/9/1962|
|All Alone Am I||Brenda Lee||9/29/1962||1/13/1963|
|Baby Workout||Jackie Wilson||3/9/1963||3/31/1963|
|She's A Fool||Lesley Gore||9/28/1963||10/13/1963|
|All My Loving||The Beatles||3/28/1964||2/9/1964; 2/16/1964|
|Glad All Over||Dave Clark Five||2/15/1964||3/8/1964; 3/15/1964; 6/20/1965|
|My Heart Belongs To Only You||Bobby Vinton||2/29/1964||3/22/1964|
|Fingertips||Little Stevie Wonder||6/22/1963||5/3/1964|
|Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying||Gerry And The Pacemakers||5/23/1964||5/3/1964; 5/10/1964|
|Wendy||The Beach Boys||10/17/1964||9/27/1964|
|Artist||EDS artist debut||Last show||# shows|
|The 4 Seasons||12/9/1962||10/2/1966||3|
|Dave Clark Five||3/8/1964||3/26/1967||12|
|Little Stevie Wonder||5/3/1964||10/5/1969||3|
|Gerry And The Pacemakers||5/3/1964||8/29/1965||4|
|The Beach Boys||9/27/1964||10/13/1968||3|
- "Big Girls Don't Cry" topped both the R&B and Pop/Rock charts for the 4 Seasons in 1962 and also became a minor hit for David Carroll that same year.
- Brenda Lee's "All Alone Am I" was a Top 10 pop hit in 1962 and it also topped the Adult Contemporary charts that same year. Lee started singing professionally at age 6 and made her chart debut in 1957 at 12 with "One Step At A Time." She was one of the top female pop singers of the early to mid 1960s with many hits on the pop, country, and R&B charts. She was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1997 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.
- The Beatles' 1964 hit, "All My Loving," also became a minor hit that same year for the Hollyridge Singers, Jimmy Griffin, and the Chipmunks.
- The Dave Clark Five's smash hit, "Glad All Over," was this group's chart debut song in 1964.
- Bobby Vinton's "My Heart Belongs To Only You" made the Top 10 in 1964. This song was first recorded by June Cristy in 1953 and was also a chart hit for Jackie Wilson in 1961.
- "Fingertips - Pt 2" was Stevie Wonder's chart debut song in 1963 and it topped the charts. The entire song, which is about 7 minutes long, consists of two parts which were flip sides of the same record (Tamla 54080). When Stevie Wonder (b. Steveland Morris in Saginaw, MI) first started out, he was known as "Little Stevie Wonder" and he recorded "Fingertips" when he was only 13. The part of "Fingertips" as played this morning is the one that ends with Wonder interjecting a snippet of "Mary Had A Little Lamb" on the harmonica towards the end of the song.
- Gerry and the Pacemakers' "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" was their chart debut song in 1964. This song recharted in 1970 but it barely cracked the charts (peaking at only #112). "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" previously charted for Steve Alaimo in 1963 and later for Trini Lopez in 1969.
Click here for a complete list of "Insane World Of Mike Sain" playlists available on this web site.