The "Insane World Of Mike Sain" airs every Wednesday at 9:00 AM Eastern Time on WPON-AM 1460 Detroit. Today, Mike took us on the road with car theme songs in honor of the Detroit Auto Show which is taking place in downtown Detroit, the automotive capital of the world. The playlist below includes many of the major makes and models (and no lemons!), plus several rare and all-but-forgotten automobile gems that never charted.
- '54 Corvette - The Customs - 1963
- Corvair Baby - Paul Revere & the Raiders - 1965
- GTO - Ronnie & the Daytonas - 1964
- Hopped Up Mustang - Arlen Saunders - 1964
- Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett - 1966
- Hey Little Cobra - Ripcords - 1964
- Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody - 1972
- 409 - Beach Boys - 1962
- Little Deuce Coupe - Beach Boys - 1963
- Little Honda - Hondells - 1964
- My Old Car - Lee Dorsey - 1967
- Pa, I Need a Car - Contours - 1963
- Drag City - Jan & Dean - 1964
- Go Go GTO - Carol & Cheryl - 1965
- Little Snow White Coupe - Tokens - 1964
- She Can't Find Her Keys - Paul Petersen - 1962
- "54 Corvette" by the Customs is included on the following compilation CDs: Hot Rod City, Hot Rods & Custom Classics [BOX SET], and Surf & Drag, Vol. 2. Members of the Customs (a.k.a. Gary Usher & The Customs) included Gary Usher. Usher was not only a major songwriter and producer throughout the 1960s but also recorded under several different band names. "54 Corvette" was recorded in 1963 on the LP "Hot Rod City" (Vault 104).
- "Corvair Baby" by Paul Revere and the Raiders is included on the CD Midnight Ride. This CD is a reissue of the 1966 album by the same name with four extra tracks, including "Corvair Baby" which was recorded in 1965 as the B-side of "SS 396" (Columbia Special Products 262).
- "Hopped Up Mustang" by Arlen Sanders is included on the following compilation CDs: Hot Rods & Custom Classics [BOX SET] and Get A Board!. "Hopped Up Mustang" by Arlen Sanders (a.k.a. Arlen Sanders With The Pacifics) was recorded in 1964 as a single b/w "A Letter To Paul" (Faro 616). This novelty song was written by Bill Romberger and Arlen Sanders and is a take-off on "Hot Rod Lincoln." Arlen Sanders was a DJ at KRLA-Los Angeles around the time this record was released.
- "Pa, I Need A Car" is on the CD album The Very Best of the Contours. This song was recorded in 1963 as the B-side of "You Get Ugly" (Gordy 7019).
- "Go Go GTO" by Carol & Cheryl is included on Hot Rods & Custom Classics [BOX SET] and Surf & Drag, Vol. 2. "Go Go GTO" was recorded in 1965 with "Sunny Winter" as the B-side song (Colpix CP 767). The "Carol & Cheryl" singing duo were sisters Carol and Cheryl Connors. Carol Connors was the lead singer of the Teddy Bears best known for their smash hit "To Know Him, Is To Love Him" (1958). She also recorded several songs and albums under various names including Carol Collins and Carol Connors & The Cycles, and appeared in several movies.
- "Little Snow White Coupe" by the Tokens is on the CD album The Lion Sleeps Tonight [Victor]. It was on the 1964 LP "Wheels" (RCA Victor LPM 2886).
Click here for a complete list of "Insane World Of Mike Sain" playlists available on this web site.